A YOUNG, PROVEN SIRE OF SUREFIRE RUNNERS
Fee: $7,500 S&N
A YOUNG, PROVEN SIRE OF SUREFIRE RUNNERS
- 2023 racing: REPO ROCKS, winner of the Toboggan S. (G3) by 8 1/2 lengths and the Blitzen S.; GO SOLDIER GO, winner of the Al Bastakiya in Dubai; TAP DANCE FEVER, winner of the Wayward Lass S.; BUY THE BEST, placed in the Mrs. Claus S.; stakes-placed New Destiny; etc.
- 2023 sales: 2YOs at OBS March sold for $200,000, $170,000, etc.
- 2022 racing: LI’L TOOTSIE, winner of the Groupie Doll S. and Anchorage Overnight S. and placed in the Winning Colors S. (G3); REPO ROCKS, winner of the Let’s Give Thanks S., runner-up in the Toboggan S. (G3), and placed in the John A. Nerud S. (G2) and Tom Fool H. (G3); GRAND DAVID, winner of the Bear’s Den S. and placed in the Showing Up S.; REMAIN ANONYMOUS, winner of the Dr. Teresa Garofalo Memorial S.; BREWHOUSE, winner of the Frances Genter S.; WHY NOT TONIGHT, winner of the All Brandy S.; Valiancer, runner-up in the Del Mar Juvenile Turf S. (G3); Life is Great, placed in the Bay Shore S. (G3); etc.
- 2022 sales: 2YOs sold for $160,000, $155,000, $150,000, $150,000, $136,730, etc.
- In 2021: #1 Third-Crop Sire by winners and wins; Top 5 Third-Crop Sire by earnings, BTWs, and BTHs; #2 Sire of 3YOs by winners, only Into Mischief had more; #3 Sire of 2YOs by BTHs (9) and BTWs (3)
- 5-time Graded SW millionaire by TAPIT. Competed in 14 straight Graded stakes races, won or placed in 11 Graded stakes races with earnings of $1,536,820. Graded stakes winner at 2, 3, and 4
- Out of multiple Graded stakes producer FREE SPIN, making him a full brother to 2019 Super Derby (G3) winner ROTATION and his full sister produced FINITE, a multiple Graded stakes winner in 2020
ALAN PORTER ANALYSIS PEDIGREE CATALOG STYLE (PDF)
“A five-time graded stakes winning millionaire, Tapiture is the only son of record-breaking Champion Sire Tapit to win graded stakes at two, three and four. A brother to two other stakes winners, Tapiture is also similarly-bred to Tapit’s brilliant Champion Untapable, and to his Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. I) victor Tapizar.”
Tapit has enjoyed remarkable success with mares carrying Storm Cat, and Tapiture particularly appeals with this strain, as his broodmare sire, Olympio, is bred on a very similar cross to Storm Cat’s dam, Terlingua. Storm Cat appears in the dams of 13 Tapit stakes winners, 11 graded, and three grade one, including graded winners Coup de Grace, Snowbell and Tapicat out of mares by Storm Cat himself; Champion Hansen out of mare by Sir Cat; grade one winner Careless Jewel out of a mare by Hennessy (sire of Johannesburg and Henny Hughes; grandsire of Scat Daddy); grade one winner Tell A Kelly out of a mare by Tabasco Cat; graded winners Dancinginherdreams and Just Wicked out of mares by Harlan sons Menifee and Harlan’s Holiday (sire of Into Mischief); graded stakes winner Divining Rod out of a mare by Catienus; graded stakes winner Mufajaah out of a mare by Forestry (sire of Discreet Cat); and graded winner Cassatt out of a mare by Giant’s Causeway (a brother to Freud, and sire of First Samurai). Other Storm Cat sources include Bernstein, Cat Thief, Tale of Cat (who gives linebreeding to the family of Pulpit, and who is sire of Lion Heart), Stormy Atlantic and Stormin Fever (who both give inbreeding to Tapiture’s male line ancestor Seattle Slew), Bluegrass Cat (who gives linebreeding to A.P. Indy via Pulpit and a three-quarters sister, and to the outstanding mare Numbered Account), Mountain Cat, Storm Boot and Yankee Gentleman.
From daughters of Deputy Minister, Tapit has sired grade one winners Frosted and Tapizar (who has a similar background to Tapiture), and graded winner Tin Type Gal. He also has graded stakes winner Delightful Joy out of a mare by Graeme Hall, a son of the Deputy Minister stallion, Dehere. This would invite considering daughters of such as Awesome Again (sire of Ghostzapper), Touch Gold, Deputy Commander, French Deputy, Salt Lake and Silver Deputy (sire of Posse, Badge of Silver and Spring At Last). Tapit has also sired graded stakes winner Hightap out of a mare by Regal Classic, by Vice Regent, the sire of Deputy Minister.
Nijinsky II appears in the pedigree of eight Tapit stakes winners, including in the broodmare sire line of grade one winner Tapitsfly (dam by Marlin, a son of Sword Dance) and graded winner Endymion (dam by Shadeed, the sire of Alydeed). It would also be possible to introduce Nijinsky II through Royal Academy (who is especially promising, being a close relative to Storm Cat), Seattle Dancer, Sky Classic and Strawberry Road (broodmare sire of a graded stakes winner by Tapit’s sire, Pulpit).
From daughters of the Sadler’s Wells horse, El Prado, Tapit has sired grade one winner Laragh and graded winner White Rose. This would suggest trying mares by El Prado sons Medaglia d’Oro, Kitten’s Joy and Artie Schiller.
Out of mares from the Danzig line, Tapit has stakes winners from daughters of Boundary (sire of Big Brown), Danzig Connection and Belong to Me. Other Danzig line stallions include Langfuhr, Ascot Knight, Polish Numbers (out of Champion Numbered Account, who is in Tapiture through Private Account), Dayjur, Pine Bluff, Honor Grades, War Chant, Hard Spun, Exchange Rate and War Front (who gives an appealing inbreeding to Fappiano).
Out of mares descending from Icecapade – a three-quarters relative to Northern Dancer – through Wild Again, Tapit has four stakes winners, three graded and two grade one, including grade one winner Tapizar and graded winner War Echo out of mares from the immediate family of Tapiture’s broodmare sire, Olympio. There is also a Tapit stakes winner out of a mare by Wild Again son, Wild Rush and Wild Again could also be brought in through Offlee Wild, Milwaukee Brew and Whiskey Wisdom. There is also a Tapit stakes winner from the Clever Trick branch of this line out of a mare by Phone Trick, the sire of Intidab, Caller I.D., Mazel Trick and Favorite Trick.
Tapit has enjoyed success with some specific branches of Mr. Prospector. He has a stakes winner out of a mare by Gone West; grade one winner Zazu and graded stakes winner Flashback out of a mare by Gone West son Mr. Greeley (sire of El Corredor); and graded stakes winner Bandbox out of a mare by Gone West son Grand Slam. This would encourage trying daughters of Speightstown, Elusive Quality and Proud Citizen. There also seems to be an affinity for the Forty Niner branch of Mr. Prospector, with grade one winner Constitution out of a daughter of Distorted Humor; grade one winner Dance Card out of a mare by Editor’s Note; as well as two Tapit stakes winners out of mares by Coronado’s Quest, and a stakes winner out of a mare by Bankers Gold. Other potential Forty Niner line broodmare sires include Trippi, End Sweep, Jules, Luhuk and Twining. Tapit’s stakes winning and grade one placed daughter Teen Pauline is out of a mare by Carson City also sire of City Zip (who should be particularly good here), Boone’s Mill, Cuvee (who is out of a three-quarters sister to Tapiture’s broodmare sire, Olympio, giving inbreeding to a family that has a remarkable strike-rate with Tapit and Pulpit), Five Star Day, Good And Tough, Pollard’s Vision and Lord Carson.
Tapit is out of a mare by the Fappiano line stallion, Unbridled, but he is sire of grade one winner Ring Weekend out of a mare by Fappiano line stallion, Cryptoclearance, and a stakes winner by out of a mare by that horse’s son, Crypto Star, inviting daughters of Candy Ride and Victory Gallop. Tapit also has graded stakes winner West Coast Belle out of a mare by Unbridled’s Song, giving inbreeding to Unbridled. Sons of Unbridled’s Song include Rockport Harbor, First Defence (a reverse Seattle Slew/Unbridled cross to Tapit), Old Fashioned, Half Ours (out of a Storm Cat mare, which will work well here), Dunkirk (a reverse A.P. Indy/Fappiano cross to Tapit), Even The Score, Eurosilver (bred on a similar cross to the dam of Tapit) and Songandaprayer. From other branches of the Unbridled line come Broken Vow (a three-quarters relative to the dam of Tapit), Grindstone, Birdstone and Empire Maker. It could also pay to consider introducing Fappiano through Rubiano – a three-quarters brother to the dam of Tapit – and Quiet American.
Tapit’s third dam is a sister to the influential sire, Relaunch, and he has six stakes winners out of mares with Relaunch in the dam, including out of daughters of Relaunch himself, as well as Honour and Glory and Bertrando (by Skywalker, and himself sire of Officer), and this cross could also work through Tiznow. We should also note that there is also a Tapit stakes winner out of a mare by Glitterman – who is from Tapit’s own family, and is half-sister to the granddam of Tapit – and from the Valid Appeal branch of Relaunch’s sire, In Reality, a stakes winner out of a mare by Valid Wager, with Valid Appeal also appearing as sire of Valid Expectations and Successful Appeal.
Tapit’s stakes winning and grade one placed son, Rattlesnake Bridge, is out of a mare by Cherokee Run (sire of Yonaguska and Kafwain), a son of the Blushing Groom horse, Runaway Groom, and he also has graded stakes winner Honorable Dillon out of a mare by Blushing Groom son, Shy Tom. In this case, Blushing Groom, through Mt. Livermore – a similar cross to Tapiture’s broodmare sire – also appeals, and he is sire of Orientate, Housebuster and Peaks and Valleys.
Tapit is from the A.P. Indy branch of the Seattle Slew line, but he has crossed well over mares from other branches of Seattle Slew, getting grade two winner Concord Point and grade one placed Normandy Invasion out of mares by Boston Harbor, and stakes winner Golden Barows out of a mare by Mayakovsky (by Matty G ), both from the Capote branch, and two stakes winners, including graded scorer Touching Beauty, out of a mare by Seattle Slew son, Ikari.
Tapit also has two stakes winners, one graded, out of mares by In Excess and another out of a mare Indian Charlie. He has classic winner Tonalist out of a mare by Pleasant Colony (sire of Pleasantly Perfect), and a grade one winner out of a mare by Concern, who is by Broad Brush, a horse who has done well under Tapit’s sire, Pulpit, and who is also sire of Include. The broad Pulpit/Halo cross has not been an effective one, but introducing Halo through More Than Ready – the broodmare sire of a Tapit grade two winner – strongly appeals. Mares by Super Saver might also be interesting, as Super Saver’s dam is a three-quarters relative to Pulpit, and also gives linebreeding to the outstanding mare, Numbered Account. Although it is not a strain that is often found, Tapit also has two stakes winners, including Champion Stardom Bound, out of mares by sons of Grey Dawn II.
Tapit has enjoyed remarkable success when his mates have featured the mare, Carols Christmas, in their pedigrees, this appearing in six of his stakes winners, including Champion Tapiture and grade one winner Tapizar. Tapiture, is out of a mare by Olympio, a son of Carols Christmas, but this important is also found in Wild Wonder, Early Flyer, Cuvee and Will He Shine, as well as in the pedigrees of her female descendents.
dkb/br. 1994 [IC]
|A.P. INDY (USA)
dkb/br. 1989 [IC]
|SEATTLE SLEW (USA)|
|WEEKEND SURPRISE (USA)|
|MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)|
|TAP YOUR HEELS (USA)
b. 1987 [BI]
|GANA FACIL (USA)|
|RUBY SLIPPERS (USA)*
|MOON GLITTER (USA)|
|FREE SPIN (USA)
|CAROLS CHRISTMAS (USA)*
|LIGHT VERSE (USA)|
|SPIN N WIN (USA)
|PRIVATE ACCOUNT (USA)
|NUMBERED ACCOUNT (USA)|
|DEBS ANGEL (USA)
|RAISE A CUP (USA)|
|GOOD GROOMER (USA)|
|2||4||1 (1)||1||2 (1)||$140,838|
|3||8||3 (3)||3 (3)||0||$1,247,222|
|4||6||1 (1)||0||2 (2)||$148,760|
|Totals||18||5 (5)||4 (3)||4 (3)||$1,536,820|
- Kentucky Jockey Club S. at Churchill Downs (G2, 8.5f, by 4 ¼ lengths, defeating Laddie Boy, Awesome Sky, Buck Magic, Notability, Arctic Slope, Dobra Historia, Culprit, Mygalsal).
- Iroquois S. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8.5f, to Cleburne, Smart Cover defeating Ride On Curlin, Laddie Boy, Rise Up, Stonecrusher, Solemnly Swear, Jimmy Connors, Honorable Judge).
- West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer (G2, 9f, defeating Candy Boy, Vicar’s In Trouble, Classic Giacnroll, For Goodness Sake, Divine View, Key for Success, Only I Know). 101 Beyer.
- Matt Winn S. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8.5f, defeating Ulanbator, Almost Famous, Rankhasprivileges, Rise Up, Conquest Titan, The Admiral).
- Southwest S. at Oaklawn Park (G3, 8.5f, by 4 ¼ lengths, defeating Strong Mandate, Ride On Curlin, Coastline, Tanzanite Cat, Bourbonize, Walt, Fire Starter, Son of Dixie, Paganol, Kendall’s Boy, Louies Flower).
- Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile. at Santa Anita Park (G1, 8f, to Goldencents, defeating Pants On Fire, Bronzo, Big Bane Theory, Carve, Fed Biz, Golden Ticket, Vicar’s In Trouble). 105 Beyer.
- Pennsylvania Derby at Parx (G2, 9f, to Bayern, defeating Candy Boy, Noble Moon, C J’s Awesome, California Chrome, Protonico, Classic Giacnroll).
- Rebel S. at Oaklawn Park (G2, 8.5f, to Hoppertunity, defeating Ride On Curlin, Strong Mandate, Sheltowee’s Boy, Street Strategy, Kobe’s Back, Jet Cat).
- Ack Ack H. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8f, defeating viva Majorca, Hat of Jacks, Midnight Cello, Den’s Legacy, Agent Di Nozzo, Roman Unbridled).
- Oaklawn H. at Oaklawn Park (G2, 9f, to Race Day, Carve, defeating Golden Lad, Street Strategy, Hard Aces, For Greater Glory, Russellin, Sammy Mandeville).
- Lone Star Park H. at Lone Star (G3, 8.5f, to Majestic City, Carve, defeating Endurance, Cy Seven).
Tapiture colt headed to UAE Derby (G2) after first stakes win
Sunday, March 5, 2023
Go Soldier Go forged to the front in the final strides of the $170,000 Listed Al Bastakiya S. on March 4 at Meydan Racecourse, winning the 1 3/16-mile contest…
Repo Rocks rolls to fourth straight win in Stymie S.
Sunday, February 26, 2023
Repo Rocks, a 5-year-old son of Tapiture, notched his fourth straight win, all in stakes, in Saturday’s $125,000 Stymie S. at Aqueduct…
Repo Rocks dominates Toboggan S. (G3) for third straight stakes win
Sunday, January 29, 2023
Repo Rocks, a 5-year-old son of Tapiture, was all alone in the final furlong of Saturday’s $150,000 Toboggan S. (G3), rolling home a 8 ½-length winner…
Tap Dance Fever takes Wayward Lass S. in 2023 debut
Sunday, January 15, 2023
Tap Dance Fever won a stretch-long duel in Saturday’s Wayward Lass S. at Tampa Bay Downs to give the daughter of Tapiture…
Tapiture’s Repo Rocks scores second straight stakes victory
Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Repo Rocks surged past Five Dreams in deep stretch to win the Jan. 4 Blitzen S. at Parx by three-quarters of a length…
Repo Rocks breaks through with stakes win on Thanksgiving Eve
Wednesday, November 23, 2022
Repo Rocks, who has a trio of graded stakes placings on his resume, got his first stakes win on Nov. 23 in the appropriately-named Let’s Give Thanks S. at Parx…
Remain Anonymous takes the spotlight in first stakes win
Tuesday, August 23, 2022
Tapiture, the leading Fourth-Crop sire of winners, got his 12th stakes horse of the year on Aug. 22 when Remain Anonymous was a 5 ¾-length winner…
Tapiture’s Li’l Tootsie gets second straight stakes win in $125,000 Groupie Doll S.
Sunday, August 14, 2022
Li’l Tootsie made it two consecutive stakes wins for the 4-year-old daughter of Tapiture with a career-best effort in Sunday’s $125,000 Groupie Doll S…
Tapiture colt dominant in stakes debut
Sunday, July 31, 2022
Grand David turned back a stern challenge at the top of the Gulfstream Park stretch to win Saturday’s $75,000 Bear’s Den S…
Readytotapnsing breaks maiden in Juvenile S.
Friday, July 29, 2022
Readytotapnsing took the $50,000 Martin Deerline Juvenile S. on July 29 to give the 2-year-old son of Tapiture his first lifetime victory…
Undefeated Tapiture filly victorious in stakes debut
Sunday, July 17, 2022
Just two weeks after winning her debut by a half-dozen lengths, Brewhouse showed her heart in winning Saturday’s Frances Genter S….
Tapiture filly gets first stakes win in Churchill’s Anchorage S.
Sunday, July 3, 2022
Li’l Tootsie became Tapiture’s newest stakes winner on July 3 at Churchill Downs with a 3 ½-length victory in the inaugural running of the $160,000 Anchorage S…