TOP 5 FRESHMAN SIRE BY TAPIT
Fee: $10,000 S&N
TOP 5 FRESHMAN SIRE BY TAPIT
- 2020 racing: undefeated STEPH'SFULLASUGAR, 6 3/4-length winner of the $100,000 LA Bred Night Starlet S.; Peruvian Boy placed in the $75,000 Limehouse S.; TDN Rising Star Specially won a Fair Grounds allowance race by 12 1/4 lengths and was runner-up in the Dixie Belle S.; Premier Star was named a TDN Rising Star after his 5 1/4-length allowance win at Gulfstream; etc.
- Top 5 First-Crop Sire of 2019 by earnings—nearly $1.5 million.
- #2 First-Crop Sire of 2019 by winners—27, including VACHERIE GIRL, winner of the Lassie S., SKY OF HOOK, winner of the Rick Violette S., Mr. Gao, G2-placed in Panama, Gone Glimmering, multiple stakes-placed, Axiomo, placed in the Indian Summer S., Peruvian Boy, placed in the Arlington-Washington Futurity, and 2 TDN Rising Stars: Remain Anonymous, 3 1/4-length Saratoga MdSpWt winner, and Specially, 5 1/4-length Keeneland MdSpWt winner
- Progeny sales: first 2YOs of 2019 sold for $475,000, $350,000, $240,000, etc. First-crop yearlings up to $425,000 in 2018
- 5-time Graded SW millionaire by TAPIT. Competed in 14 straight Graded stakes races, won or placed in 11 Graded stakes races with earnings of $1,536,820
- At two: Broke his maiden in Churchill’s $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) by a dominating 4 ¼ lengths
- At three: Won $750,000 West Virginia Derby (G2), earning a 101 Beyer; won $300,000 Southwest S. (G3) by 4 ¼ length; won Matt Winn S. (G3); runner-up in $1,000,000 Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (G1) to Goldencents, earning a 105 Beyer; also second in the $1,000,000 Pennsylvania Derby (G2) to next-out Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) winner Bayern
- At four: Won $100,000 Ack Ack S. (G3) at Churchill in his final prep for the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (G1)
- Out of multiple Graded stakes producer, FREE SPIN, making him a full brother to 2019 Super Derby (G3) winner, ROTATION, and his full sister produced 2019 Golden Rod S. (G2) and 2020 Silverbulletday S. winner, FINITE
- Bred 639 mares in his first four books combined
“A five-time graded stakes winning millionaire, Tapiture is the only son of record-breaking Champion Sire Tapit to win graded stakes at two, three and four. A brother to two other stakes winners, Tapiture is also similarly-bred to Tapit’s brilliant Champion Untapable, and to his Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. I) victor Tapizar.”
Tapit has enjoyed remarkable success with mares carrying Storm Cat, and Tapiture particularly appeals with this strain, as his broodmare sire, Olympio, is bred on a very similar cross to Storm Cat’s dam, Terlingua. Storm Cat appears in the dams of 13 Tapit stakes winners, 11 graded, and three grade one, including graded winners Coup de Grace, Snowbell and Tapicat out of mares by Storm Cat himself; Champion Hansen out of mare by Sir Cat; grade one winner Careless Jewel out of a mare by Hennessy (sire of Johannesburg and Henny Hughes; grandsire of Scat Daddy); grade one winner Tell A Kelly out of a mare by Tabasco Cat; graded winners Dancinginherdreams and Just Wicked out of mares by Harlan sons Menifee and Harlan’s Holiday (sire of Into Mischief); graded stakes winner Divining Rod out of a mare by Catienus; graded stakes winner Mufajaah out of a mare by Forestry (sire of Discreet Cat); and graded winner Cassatt out of a mare by Giant’s Causeway (a brother to Freud, and sire of First Samurai). Other Storm Cat sources include Bernstein, Cat Thief, Tale of Cat (who gives linebreeding to the family of Pulpit, and who is sire of Lion Heart), Stormy Atlantic and Stormin Fever (who both give inbreeding to Tapiture’s male line ancestor Seattle Slew), Bluegrass Cat (who gives linebreeding to A.P. Indy via Pulpit and a three-quarters sister, and to the outstanding mare Numbered Account), Mountain Cat, Storm Boot and Yankee Gentleman.
From daughters of Deputy Minister, Tapit has sired grade one winners Frosted and Tapizar (who has a similar background to Tapiture), and graded winner Tin Type Gal. He also has graded stakes winner Delightful Joy out of a mare by Graeme Hall, a son of the Deputy Minister stallion, Dehere. This would invite considering daughters of such as Awesome Again (sire of Ghostzapper), Touch Gold, Deputy Commander, French Deputy, Salt Lake and Silver Deputy (sire of Posse, Badge of Silver and Spring At Last). Tapit has also sired graded stakes winner Hightap out of a mare by Regal Classic, by Vice Regent, the sire of Deputy Minister.
Nijinsky II appears in the pedigree of eight Tapit stakes winners, including in the broodmare sire line of grade one winner Tapitsfly (dam by Marlin, a son of Sword Dance) and graded winner Endymion (dam by Shadeed, the sire of Alydeed). It would also be possible to introduce Nijinsky II through Royal Academy (who is especially promising, being a close relative to Storm Cat), Seattle Dancer, Sky Classic and Strawberry Road (broodmare sire of a graded stakes winner by Tapit’s sire, Pulpit).
From daughters of the Sadler’s Wells horse, El Prado, Tapit has sired grade one winner Laragh and graded winner White Rose. This would suggest trying mares by El Prado sons Medaglia d’Oro, Kitten’s Joy and Artie Schiller.
Out of mares from the Danzig line, Tapit has stakes winners from daughters of Boundary (sire of Big Brown), Danzig Connection and Belong to Me. Other Danzig line stallions include Langfuhr, Ascot Knight, Polish Numbers (out of Champion Numbered Account, who is in Tapiture through Private Account), Dayjur, Pine Bluff, Honor Grades, War Chant, Hard Spun, Exchange Rate and War Front (who gives an appealing inbreeding to Fappiano).
Out of mares descending from Icecapade – a three-quarters relative to Northern Dancer – through Wild Again, Tapit has four stakes winners, three graded and two grade one, including grade one winner Tapizar and graded winner War Echo out of mares from the immediate family of Tapiture’s broodmare sire, Olympio. There is also a Tapit stakes winner out of a mare by Wild Again son, Wild Rush and Wild Again could also be brought in through Offlee Wild, Milwaukee Brew and Whiskey Wisdom. There is also a Tapit stakes winner from the Clever Trick branch of this line out of a mare by Phone Trick, the sire of Intidab, Caller I.D., Mazel Trick and Favorite Trick.
Tapit has enjoyed success with some specific branches of Mr. Prospector. He has a stakes winner out of a mare by Gone West; grade one winner Zazu and graded stakes winner Flashback out of a mare by Gone West son Mr. Greeley (sire of El Corredor); and graded stakes winner Bandbox out of a mare by Gone West son Grand Slam. This would encourage trying daughters of Speightstown, Elusive Quality and Proud Citizen. There also seems to be an affinity for the Forty Niner branch of Mr. Prospector, with grade one winner Constitution out of a daughter of Distorted Humor; grade one winner Dance Card out of a mare by Editor’s Note; as well as two Tapit stakes winners out of mares by Coronado’s Quest, and a stakes winner out of a mare by Bankers Gold. Other potential Forty Niner line broodmare sires include Trippi, End Sweep, Jules, Luhuk and Twining. Tapit’s stakes winning and grade one placed daughter Teen Pauline is out of a mare by Carson City also sire of City Zip (who should be particularly good here), Boone’s Mill, Cuvee (who is out of a three-quarters sister to Tapiture’s broodmare sire, Olympio, giving inbreeding to a family that has a remarkable strike-rate with Tapit and Pulpit), Five Star Day, Good And Tough, Pollard’s Vision and Lord Carson.
Tapit is out of a mare by the Fappiano line stallion, Unbridled, but he is sire of grade one winner Ring Weekend out of a mare by Fappiano line stallion, Cryptoclearance, and a stakes winner by out of a mare by that horse’s son, Crypto Star, inviting daughters of Candy Ride and Victory Gallop. Tapit also has graded stakes winner West Coast Belle out of a mare by Unbridled’s Song, giving inbreeding to Unbridled. Sons of Unbridled’s Song include Rockport Harbor, First Defence (a reverse Seattle Slew/Unbridled cross to Tapit), Old Fashioned, Half Ours (out of a Storm Cat mare, which will work well here), Dunkirk (a reverse A.P. Indy/Fappiano cross to Tapit), Even The Score, Eurosilver (bred on a similar cross to the dam of Tapit) and Songandaprayer. From other branches of the Unbridled line come Broken Vow (a three-quarters relative to the dam of Tapit), Grindstone, Birdstone and Empire Maker. It could also pay to consider introducing Fappiano through Rubiano – a three-quarters brother to the dam of Tapit – and Quiet American.
Tapit’s third dam is a sister to the influential sire, Relaunch, and he has six stakes winners out of mares with Relaunch in the dam, including out of daughters of Relaunch himself, as well as Honour and Glory and Bertrando (by Skywalker, and himself sire of Officer), and this cross could also work through Tiznow. We should also note that there is also a Tapit stakes winner out of a mare by Glitterman – who is from Tapit’s own family, and is half-sister to the granddam of Tapit – and from the Valid Appeal branch of Relaunch’s sire, In Reality, a stakes winner out of a mare by Valid Wager, with Valid Appeal also appearing as sire of Valid Expectations and Successful Appeal.
Tapit’s stakes winning and grade one placed son, Rattlesnake Bridge, is out of a mare by Cherokee Run (sire of Yonaguska and Kafwain), a son of the Blushing Groom horse, Runaway Groom, and he also has graded stakes winner Honorable Dillon out of a mare by Blushing Groom son, Shy Tom. In this case, Blushing Groom, through Mt. Livermore – a similar cross to Tapiture’s broodmare sire – also appeals, and he is sire of Orientate, Housebuster and Peaks and Valleys.
Tapit is from the A.P. Indy branch of the Seattle Slew line, but he has crossed well over mares from other branches of Seattle Slew, getting grade two winner Concord Point and grade one placed Normandy Invasion out of mares by Boston Harbor, and stakes winner Golden Barows out of a mare by Mayakovsky (by Matty G ), both from the Capote branch, and two stakes winners, including graded scorer Touching Beauty, out of a mare by Seattle Slew son, Ikari.
Tapit also has two stakes winners, one graded, out of mares by In Excess and another out of a mare Indian Charlie. He has classic winner Tonalist out of a mare by Pleasant Colony (sire of Pleasantly Perfect), and a grade one winner out of a mare by Concern, who is by Broad Brush, a horse who has done well under Tapit’s sire, Pulpit, and who is also sire of Include. The broad Pulpit/Halo cross has not been an effective one, but introducing Halo through More Than Ready – the broodmare sire of a Tapit grade two winner – strongly appeals. Mares by Super Saver might also be interesting, as Super Saver’s dam is a three-quarters relative to Pulpit, and also gives linebreeding to the outstanding mare, Numbered Account. Although it is not a strain that is often found, Tapit also has two stakes winners, including Champion Stardom Bound, out of mares by sons of Grey Dawn II.
Tapit has enjoyed remarkable success when his mates have featured the mare, Carols Christmas, in their pedigrees, this appearing in six of his stakes winners, including Champion Tapiture and grade one winner Tapizar. Tapiture, is out of a mare by Olympio, a son of Carols Christmas, but this important is also found in Wild Wonder, Early Flyer, Cuvee and Will He Shine, as well as in the pedigrees of her female descendents.
dkb/br. 1994 [IC]
|A.P. INDY (USA)
dkb/br. 1989 [IC]
|SEATTLE SLEW (USA)|
|WEEKEND SURPRISE (USA)|
|MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)|
|TAP YOUR HEELS (USA)
b. 1987 [BI]
|GANA FACIL (USA)|
|RUBY SLIPPERS (USA)*
|MOON GLITTER (USA)|
|FREE SPIN (USA)
|CAROLS CHRISTMAS (USA)*
|LIGHT VERSE (USA)|
|SPIN N WIN (USA)
|PRIVATE ACCOUNT (USA)
|NUMBERED ACCOUNT (USA)|
|DEBS ANGEL (USA)
|RAISE A CUP (USA)|
|GOOD GROOMER (USA)|
|2||4||1 (1)||1||2 (1)||$140,838|
|3||8||3 (3)||3 (3)||0||$1,247,222|
|4||6||1 (1)||0||2 (2)||$148,760|
|Totals||18||5 (5)||4 (3)||4 (3)||$1,536,820|
- Kentucky Jockey Club S. at Churchill Downs (G2, 8.5f, by 4 ¼ lengths, defeating Laddie Boy, Awesome Sky, Buck Magic, Notability, Arctic Slope, Dobra Historia, Culprit, Mygalsal)
- Iroquois S. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8.5f, to Cleburne, Smart Cover defeating Ride On Curlin, Laddie Boy, Rise Up, Stonecrusher, Solemnly Swear, Jimmy Connors, Honorable Judge)
- West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer (G2, 9f, defeating Candy Boy, Vicar’s In Trouble, Classic Giacnroll, For Goodness Sake, Divine View, Key for Success, Only I Know)
- Matt Winn S. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8.5f, defeating Ulanbator, Almost Famous, Rankhasprivileges, Rise Up, Conquest Titan, The Admiral)
- Southwest S. at Oaklawn Park (G3, 8.5f, by 4 ¼ lengths, defeating Strong Mandate, Ride On Curlin, Coastline, Tanzanite Cat, Bourbonize, Walt, Fire Starter, Son of Dixie, Paganol, Kendall’s Boy, Louies Flower)
- Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile. at Santa Anita Park (G1, 8f, to Goldencents, defeating Pants On Fire, Bronzo, Big Bane Theory, Carve, Fed Biz, Golden Ticket, Vicar’s In Trouble).
- Pennsylvania Derby at Parx (G2, 9f, to Bayern, defeating Candy Boy, Noble Moon, C J’s Awesome, California Chrome, Protonico, Classic Giacnroll).
- Rebel S. at Oaklawn Park (G2, 8.5f, to Hoppertunity, defeating Ride On Curlin, Strong Mandate, Sheltowee’s Boy, Street Strategy, Kobe’s Back, Jet Cat).
- Ack Ack H. at Churchill Downs (G3, 8f, defeating viva Majorca, Hat of Jacks, Midnight Cello, Den’s Legacy, Agent Di Nozzo, Roman Unbridled).
- Oaklawn H. at Oaklawn Park (G2, 9f, to Race Day, Carve, defeating Golden Lad, Street Strategy, Hard Aces, For Greater Glory, Russellin, Sammy Mandeville).
- Lone Star Park H. at Lone Star (G3, 8.5f, to Majestic City, Carve, defeating Endurance, Cy Seven).
Monday, February 10, 2020
Steph’sfullasugar remained undefeated in her first two career starts with an eye-catching 6 ¾-length victory in Saturday’s $100,000 LA Bred Premier Night Starlet S. at Delta Downs. Ridden by Colby Hernandez, who was also aboard the 3-year-old filly in her debut victory at Fair Grounds on Jan. 18, Steph’sfullasugar raced in fourth position early in […]
Saturday, January 18, 2020
Steph’sfullasugar and Miss Tap Dance both won their first starts of the year in 3-year-old maiden special weight races on Saturday to kick off 2020 on a high note for their sire Tapiture, who finished 2019 as co-leading First-Crop sire with 27 winners. Steph’sfullasugar was making her debut in the Saturday opener at the Fair […]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Premier Star made it 2-for-2 with a very impressive allowance victory Jan. 15 at Gulfstream Park, winning the seven furlong contest by 5 1/4-lengths and earning a TDN Rising Star tag. The chestnut Tapiture 3-year-old was also sharp in his Dec. 8 debut, defeating the very promising Caracaro by nearly two lengths. Premier Star left […]
Sunday, December 22, 2019
Tapiture’s dynamic 2-year-old filly Beautiful Trauma could likely be headed to stakes competition following her 16-length blowout allowance win Saturday at Fair Grounds. According to trainer Tom Amoss, the $150,000 Silverbulletday S. on Jan. 18, also at Fair Grounds, is a likely target as the filly starts on the road to the Kentucky Oaks (G1). […]
Saturday, December 21, 2019
Ralston’s eye-catching win Dec. 21 at Gulfstream Park gave Tapiture his 27th First-Crop winner, tying him for the most on this year’s Freshman Sire list. The chestnut colt was making his debut in the five-furlong maiden special weight race on the main track, and ran to his even-money odds. Away very well from the inside […]
Saturday, December 14, 2019
Vacherie Girl lived up to her billing with a solid score in Saturday’s $100,000 Louisiana Champions Day Lassie S. at Fair Grounds, winning the six-furlong contest for 2-year-old fillies by 1 1/4-lengths. The win made her Tapiture’s second stakes winner and his fifth overall stakes horse in his first crop. With 25 individual winners, Tapiture […]
Sunday, December 8, 2019
Tapiture is now tied atop the First-Crop Sire list with 24 winners after Premier Star won his Dec. 8 debut at Gulfstream Park by 1 3/4-lengths. The chestnut colt earned a very respectable Beyer Speed Figure of 82 after completing the seven furlongs in 1:23.08, overcoming being floated very wide coming into the stretch by […]
Friday, November 29, 2019
Tapiture’s latest winner Incorruptible marked his third winner of the week and tied him for the top spot on the 2019 First-Crop sire list. Incorruptible, who was making his debut in a six-furlong maiden special weight race for 2-year-olds at Fair Grounds on Nov. 29, came from last in the field of seven juveniles to […]
Vacherie Girl came from well off the pace to capture her debut by a widening six lengths Nov. 28 at Fair Grounds, making her the 22nd winner from Tapiture’s first crop of runners. Tapiture trails only American Pharoah, who has 40 more named foals than the Darby Dan stallion. Vacherie Girl, trained by Steve Asmussen, […]
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Axiomo earned his third career win Saturday at Churchill Downs, getting up in the final furlong of a $105,000 allowance race to win by three-quarters of a length. After winning his first two starts, Axiomo has had a steady diet of stakes races before Saturday. He finished third in the $200,000 Indian Summer S. at […]
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Darby Dan Farm has set 2020 stud fees for its roster of nine stallions that will stand the upcoming breeding season, led by Dialed In, who will stand for $20,000 S&N. The roster also features Shackleford and Klimt who will each stand for $10,000 S&N; Tapiture, a leading freshman sire of 2019, will stand for […]
Sunday, November 10, 2019
Tapiture added three more maiden winners this week to move him to the top of the First-Crop Sire list with 21, ahead of American Pharoah, Constitution and Wicked Strong. Distilled Spirit was the latest winner for his sire when he scored a front-running victory going six furlongs on Nov. 9 at Laurel Park. Owned and […]