THE PERFECT COMBINATION
Fee: $20,000 S&N
THE PERFECT COMBINATION
- 2020 racing: Answer In, placed in the $750,000 Southwest S. (G3), Princess Cadey, runner-up in the Wide Country S., What'sontheagenda, runner-up in the Clocker's Corner S., etc.
- A leading fourth-crop sire by BTWs and BTHs in 2019: MUGARITZ, winner of the Berkeley H. (G3), G2-placed CHALON, winner of the Skipat S. and Roamin Rachel S., 2YO filly ONYX, winner of the Sharp Susan S. and Our Dear Peggy S., MS LOCUST POINT, winner of the Primonetta S., 2YO colt STRIVE FOR GLORY, winner of the Tipperary S. in Ireland, G2 winner/G1-placed MY OPINION (IND), Dubai World Cup (G1)-placed GUNNEVERA, Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) runner-up Finnick the Fierce, G3-placed Na Pali Spirit, Vantastic, Verb, What’sontheagenda, etc.
- A leading third-crop sire of 2018 by BTWs, GSHs, G1SHs, and earnings; #1 Second-Crop Sire in 2017 with 12 BTHs; Champion First-Crop Sire of 2016
- Lifetime: 30 BTHs, 14 GSHs, 11 BTWs, and over $16.8 million in progeny earnings
- Winner of the stallion-making $1,000,000 Florida Derby (G1) and the $400,000 Holy Bull (G3) in just his second start
- $475,000 Select yearling at Saratoga: "Dialed In was a beautifully balanced yearling, and he still is great looking. That's why he was our catalog cover horse in 2011."—Bill Graves
- By A.P. Indy’s Horse of the Year MINESHAFT, out of multiple stakes-producing dam, Miss Doolittle (by Storm Cat); second dam is Eclipse Champion 2-year-old ELIZA
- Named a 2020 Proven Value Sire by TDN: "And remember that we’re talking about a really flamboyant individual—whether standing up or running. And, in terms of pedigree, he has a flawless 'stairwell' through his third generation: besides the familiar interplay of Secretariat’s daughters Weekend Surprise and Terlingua, respectively with Seattle Slew and Storm Bird, we have Mr Prospector with matriarch Up The Flagpole; and Mt. Livermore with Daring Bidder, who was responsible for GI Santa Anita Derby winner Dinard (Strawberry Road) as well as Dialed In’s champion second dam Eliza. Whatever percolates can only be class... this could prove a smart moment to get involved." —TDN, 2/21/20
- Largest and best-bred crop yet are 2YOs in 2020
By Alan Porter
A spectacular winner over 6½ furlongs at Churchill Downs on his only start at two, and victorious in a vintage edition of the Florida Derby at three, A.P. Indy grandson Dialed In has rapidly established himself as an outstanding young sire.
Dialed In is out of a mare by Storm Cat, and is doing extremely well when crossed back over Storm Cat line mares. He already has graded stakes winning two-year-old The Tabulator out of a mare by Giant’s Causeway, and grade two winner Ms Locust Point out of mare by Giant’s Causeway son, First Samurai, which suggests trying mares by Giant’s Causeway son, Eskendereya, and by Freud, a brother to Giant’s Causeway. Dialed In also has multiple stakes winner Ruffenuff out of a mare by Storm Cat son, Forestry (sire of Discreet Cat and Shackleford), and stakes winning and graded placed Chalon out of a mare by Menifee (by Harlan, also sire of Harlan’s Holiday, and grandsire of Into Mischief). We can also note that Dialed In’s sire, Mineshaft, is responsible for the outstanding runner, It’s Tricky, out of a mare by Tale of the Cat (sire of Lion Heart), and other Storm Cat sons that appeal here are Hennessy (sire of Johannesburg, Henny Hughes, Cactus Ridge and Wiseman’s Ferry; grandsire of Scat Daddy), Bluegrass Cat, Bernstein, Catienus, Tabasco Cat, Cat Thief, Forest Wildcat (sire Wildcat Heir), High Yield, Sir Cat, Storm Boot, Storm Creek , Stormin Fever, Stormy Atlantic and Tactical Cat, all of whom have supplied the dams of A.P. Indy line stakes winners.
Storm Cat is a Northern Dancer line horse, and Dialed In is sire of stakes winner Montu out of a mare by Deputy Commander, from the Deputy Minister branch of that line. Mineshaft is sire of graded stakes winners from daughters of Deputy Minister and his son Silver Deputy (sire of Posse, Badge of Silver and Spring At Last), which also invites mares by such as Dehere (who has already worked well under A.P. Indy) as well as Touch Gold, Awesome Again (sire of Ghostzapper, Daaher, Toccet and Awesome of Course), French Deputy, Salt Lake and Forest Camp. Mineshaft also has a graded stakes winner out of a mare by Zilzal (a son of Nureyev, also sire of Theatrical, Stravinsky and Atticus) and a stakes winner out of a mare by Dixieland Band (sire of Dixie Union).
Out of mares from the Fappiano branch of Mr. Prospector, Dialed In is sire of Gunnevera, a multiple graded stakes winner of almost $3,000,000, out of a mare by Unbridled, and stakes winning and graded placed It’s Your Nickel out of a mare by Quiet American (sire of Real Quiet; grandsire of Midnight Lute). Unbridled sources include Unbridled’s Song (sire of Songandaprayer, Rockport Harbor, First Defence, Midshipman, Old Fashioned, Half Ours, Zensational, Dunkirk and Even The Score), Broken Vow, Empire Maker (sire of Pioneerof the Nile and Bodemeister, who gives inbreeding to Storm Cat and A.P. Indy), Saarland (broodmare sire of graded stakes winner by a son of Dialed In’s sire, Mineshaft), Grindstone, Birdstone and Summer Bird (who would be very interesting). There is also a graded stakes winner by Mineshaft, out of a mare by Fappiano son, Rubiano (sire of Too Much Bling and Burning Roma).
>Mineshaft also crossed successfully with Mr. Prospector through several other branches, including getting grade one winner Effinex out of a mare by E Dubai; a graded winner out of a mare by Smart Strike (sire of Curlin, Lookin At Lucky and English Channel); stakes winners out of mares by Mr. Greeley and Came Home, sons of Gone West, also sire of Speightstown (who would give inbreeding to Storm Cat), Elusive Quality (sire of Smarty Jones and Quality Road) and Grand Slam; from daughters of Mutakddim and Petitionville, and his sire, Seeking the Gold (also sire of Cape Town); from Hansel and his sire, Woodman (with Not For Love, a three-quarters relative to Woodman also appealing); from Editor’s Note (a son of Forty Niner, who looks particularly good here, could also be brought in through Distorted Humor, Coronado’s Quest, End Sweep, Gold Fever, Jules, Roar, Tactical Advantage, Trippi and Twining); and from Afleet Alex (by Northern Afleet, whose sire Afleet is also broodmare sire of Mineshaft’s Kentucky Derby second Nehro).
Minehaft and sons have done well over mares from the Roberto branch of the Hail to Reason/Turn-to line, and he already has two stakes winners, one graded, out of mares by Kris S. (sire of Arch, You and I and Prized, himself broodmare sire of a Mineshaft line stakes winner) and a stakes winner out of a mare by Red Ransom, and a stakes winner out of a mare by Dynaformer.
|A.P. INDY (USA)
dkb/br. 1989 [IC]
|SEATTLE SLEW (USA)
br. 1974 [BC]
|BOLD REASONING (USA)|
|MY CHARMER (USA)|
|WEEKEND SURPRISE (USA)*
|LASSIE DEAR (USA)|
|PROSPECTORS DELITE (USA)*
|MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)
b. 1970 [BC]
|RAISE A NATIVE (USA)|
|GOLD DIGGER (USA)|
|UP THE FLAGPOLE (USA)*
|HOIST THE FLAG (USA)|
|THE GARDEN CLUB (USA)|
|MISS DOOLITTLE (USA)
|STORM CAT (USA)
|STORM BIRD (CAN)
|NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)|
|SOUTH OCEAN (CAN)|
|CRIMSON SAINT (USA)|
|MT LIVERMORE (USA)
|BLUSHING GROOM (FR)|
|FLAMA ARDIENTE (USA)|
|DARING BIDDER (USA)
|BOLD BIDDER (USA)|
|DARING STEP (USA)|
- MSW AT CHURCHILL DOWNS (6 ½F, DEFEATING NINJA BLADE, KRIEGSPEIL, THE FREAK, PHILIPPE, ETC.).
- FLORIDA DERBY AT GULFSTREAM PARK (G1, 9F, DEFEATING SHACKLEFORD, TO HONOR AND SERVE, FLASHPOINT, SOLDAT, STAY THIRSTY, ETC.).
- HOLY BULL S. AT GULFSTREAM PARK (G3, 8F IN 1:35.19, DEFEATING MUCHO MACHO MAN, GOURMET DINNER, BLACK AND BEAUTY, LEAVE OF ABSENCE, PRINTING PRESS, MAJOR GAIN, ETC.).
- ALLOWANCE AT GULFSTREAM PARK (9F, TO EQUESTRIO; DEFEATING WILLIAM’S KITTEN, ETC.).
Dialed In News
Saturday, November 30, 2019
Dialed In’s Mugaritz won his third straight stakes in Saturday’s Berkeley H. (G3), the first graded win for the 4-year-old, who now has won six races in a row dating back to New Year’s Eve. Ridden by Ricky Gonzalez, Mugaritz came out of the gate very well and took up a spot in third along […]
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Darby Dan Farm has set 2020 stud fees for its roster of nine stallions that will stand the upcoming breeding season, led by Dialed In, who will stand for $20,000 S&N. The roster also features Shackleford and Klimt who will each stand for $10,000 S&N; Tapiture, a leading freshman sire of 2019, will stand for […]
Sunday, November 3, 2019
Dailed In’s 4-year-old son Mugaritz won his second straight stakes in Saturday’s Joseph T. Grace S. at Golden Gate Fields and upped his overall win streak to five, which 10 months ago on New Year’s Eve. Owned by Mercardo Alejandro, Mugaritz has won seven of 12 lifetime starts and earned $167,125. He is one of […]
Sunday, October 13, 2019
Mugaritz ran his winning streak to four straight with a victory in the $50,000 Bull Dog H. on Oct. 13, making him Dialed In’s 16th stakes horse of 2019. Dialed In is a top-five Fourth-Crop sire in several categories this year, including black type winners, black type horses and graded stakes horses. Mugaritz, who ran […]
Saturday, September 28, 2019
Onyx scored for the third time in a row with her scintillating three-length win in the $75,000 Our Dear Peggy S. at Gulfstream Park on Saturday, also the second straight stakes score for the 2-year-old Dialed In filly. Onyx, winner of the $117,000 Sharp Susan S. on Aug. 31, is undefeated in three starts on […]
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Dialed In kicked off the second week of the Sept. 9-22 Keeneland Yearling sale with a $290,000 filly that sold during the Sept. 16 session of the auction. Offered by Betz Thoroughbreds Inc., agent, hip No. 2120 went to Tiptant Racing. The chestnut filly is the first foal out of the Uncle Mo mare Mo […]
Monday, September 2, 2019
Dialed In’s top-class distaffer Chalon scored a 1 1/4-length victory in Monday’s $100,000 Roamin Rachel S. at Parx to give the five-year-old daughter of Dialed In her fifth black type win and pushed her earnings to $866,395. Chalon is Dialed In’s second-leading career earner, behind multi-millionaire Gunnevera. Chalon has a streak of first or second […]
Saturday, August 31, 2019
Onyx finished with an incredible flourish to win the $100,000 Sharp Susan S. over the Gulfstream Park turf course on Aug. 31, the first stakes start and win for the 2-year-old Dialed In filly. Onyx is Dialed In’s fifth stakes winner and 14th stakes horses of 2019, which is second-most among all Fourth-Crop sires. He […]
Friday, July 5, 2019
Strive for Glory got the best of Air Force Jet by three-quarters of a length in the $53,000 U. S. Navy Flag Tipperary S. on July 4 at the Irish track to give the 2-year-old Dialed In colt his first stakes win. Near the back of the field for the better part of the straight […]
Sunday, June 9, 2019
A colt by Dialed In turned in the co-fastest quarter-mile work of the week during Saturday’s Under Tack Show for the June 12-14 OBS June Sale of 2-year-olds in Training. The colt, hip No. 701, was timed in :20 3/5 [WATCH BREEZE]. “It was a good work, he’s a nice horse,” said consignor G.W. Parrish. […]
Monday, May 20, 2019
Ruffenuff, a model of consistency throughout her career, tallied career stakes win number five on May 20 with a win in the Jet Set S. at the newly-opened Century Mile Racetrack in Edmonton, Alberta. She is the second stakes winner of the weekend for Dialed In, who accounted for the $100,000 Skipat S. at Pimlico […]
Friday, May 17, 2019
Dialed In’s multiple stakes winner Chalon kicked of her 2019 campaign with a victory in the $100,000 Skipat S. Friday at Pimlico. The 5-year-old now has four stakes wins to her credit and has earned $717,295 for owner Lael Stables. Second in last November’s Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint (G1), Chalon was given the […]