GRADE 1 WINNER FROM THE SPEIGHTSTOWN LINE
GRADE 1 WINNER FROM THE SPEIGHTSTOWN LINE
- 2023 racing: INFINITE DIAMOND, winner of the $100,000 Cash Run S. at Gulfstream by 2 1/4 lengths; Shirl’s Bee, runner-up in the U.A.E. Two Thousand Guineas (G3); Topsy, debut MdSpWt winner at Fair Grounds by 3 1/4 lengths; Jersey Jim, 5 1/2 length maiden winner; King of Jersey, debut winner by 2 1/2 lengths; etc.
- First-crop 2YOs include MY HAPPINESS, winner of the Iowa Sorority S. and a 6-length MdSpWt winner; Jersey Pearl, placed in the $125,000 Gowell S. and winner of a $100,000 MdSpWt at Keeneland; Shirl’s Bee, impressive maiden winner at Meydan; Bedtime Story, 2-time winner at Gulfstream; Infinite Diamond, Gulfstream MdSpWt winner by 14 1/2 lengths; etc.
- First 2YOs averaged $103,729 with a median of $100,000. They sold for $225,000 filly at OBS March (:9.4 breeze), purchased by Bill and Corinne Heiligbrodt; $200,000 filly (:20.4 breeze) at OBS June, purchased by NBS Stable / John Ballantyne; $125,000 colt at F-T Midlantic, puchased by Jack Wagon Stable; $120,000 filly at OBS April, purchased by Patrick Biancone; etc.
- Winner of the historic Metropolitan H. (G1) in 1:33.13—faster than Ghostzapper, Mor Spirit, Palace Malice, Holy Bull, etc.
- Beyer Speed Figure of 109 in the Metropolitan is the second-fastest by any horse at a mile in 2018
- Defeated 10 Graded stakes winners in the Metropolitan, including G1 winners Bolt d’Oro, Discreet Lover, Mind Your Biscuits, and Ransom the Moon
- Off the board just once in 10 career starts. Undefeated and never headed at any call as a 4YO with an average winning margin of nearly 5 lengths
- Won Steve Sexton Mile (G3) with a 104 Beyer Speed Figure, defeating G1 winner Girvin by 5 ½ lengths
- Finished a clear second to eventual 2-time Dubai World Cup (G1) winner Thunder Snow in the UAE 2000 Guineas (G3)
- The most accomplished son of Cigar Mile H. (G1) winner JERSEY TOWN, a son of the influential SPEIGHTSTOWN
- From the sire-producing family of A.P. INDY, SUMMER SQUALL, LEMON DROP KID, etc
- A $250,000 Keeneland September Yearling out of the stakes-placed Rahy mare BEES
- Named a Bronze Medal Stallion on 2020 Chris McGrath’s Value Podium: “One of the fastest milers around, wiring the Met (Mile- G1) field for a 109 Beyer.… Bee Jersey is from one of the very best families in the book, with pervasive Classic seeding. He has the looks too.“
- “He’s absolutely gorgeous, just so perfectly balanced. Just ask John Phillips, he said to me, ‘I can’t believe how beautiful that horse is.’” – Chuck Fipke, TDN
- Sold 100% of first-crop yearlings at Keeneland September and averaged nearly 3x his stud fee. First 2YOs in 2022
ALAN PORTER ANALYSIS PEDIGREE CATALOG STYLE (PDF)
By Alan Porter
Winner of the Metropolitan Handicap (G1) with a 109 Beyer Speedfigure, Bee Jersey is a brilliant miler from Speightstown sire line, and from the family of A.P. Indy.
Speightstown and sons have been very good with Medaglia d’Oro mares, with six stakes winners, two graded one, and the sire line has also enjoyed success over mares by that horse’s sire, El Prado, and his grandsire, Sadler’s Wells. This suggests daughters of Warrior’s Reward, Kitten’s Joy, Artie Schiller, Sligo Bay (who would give inbreeding to Champion Glorious Song and a sister), Powerscourt and Perfect Soul (broodmare sire of a Speightstown graded stakes winner). There is also a graded winner out of a mare by Sadler’s Wells’ great son, Galileo and sons of that horse, which in the U.S. include Magician and Cape Blanco.
Speightstown has also done well with mares descending from Sadler’s Well’s three-quarters brother Nureyev. From that line, Speightstown has sired a pair of roup/grade one winners out of mares by Theatrical, with other sources of that line including Unusual Heat, Fasliyev, Atticus, Spinning World and Stravinsky.
The Deputy Minister line is another branch of Northern Dancer that has worked well under the Speightstown line. In addition to a grade one winner out of a mare by Deputy Minister himself, there are three stakes winners, two graded, out of mares by Awesome Again (sire of Ghostzapper – himself broodmare sire of a Speightstown line graded stakes winner – Daaher, Toccet and Awesome of Course), a grade one winner out of a mare by Tejabo (from a mare closely related to Touch Gold, also the broodmare sire of a Speightstown line stakes winner), a graded winner out of a mare by Salt Lake, and two stakes winners out of mares by Silver Deputy (sire Posse, Badge of Silver and Spring at Last).
Bee Jersey’s sire is a grade one winning product of the Speightstown/Danzig cross, and it could well pay to cross Bee Jersey back over mares from that line. On this cross, there are grade one winners out of mares by Langfuhr (sire of Lawyer Ron), Lost Soldier (a Northern Dancer/ Secretariat cross, like Storm Cat, the broodmare sire of Speightstown) and Danehill, and graded winners out of mares by Zeiten, Dayjur, Honor Grades (another Northern Dancer/Secretariat cross), Sea Hero (by Polish Number), Hard Spun and Orpen. There are also stakes winners out of a mares by Chief’s Crown (another Northern Dancer/Secretariat cross, and sire Concerto, and grandsire of Bellamy Road), Green Desert and Partner’s Hero, and would also be possible to bring in Danzig through Exchange Rate, War Front and War Chant.
Speightstown is out of a mare by Storm Cat, but he and his sons have sired 16 stakes winners when crossed back over mares from that line. There is a grade one winner out of a mare by Menifee, by Harlan, whose son Harlan’s Holiday, is also broodmare sire of a Speightstown line stakes winner, and can be brought in through Into Mischief, Majesticperfection and Shanghai Bobby. There are graded stakes winners out of mares by Freud and Fairbanks (by Freud’s brother, Giant’s Causeway, also sire of First Samurai, Eskendereya and Creative Cause), two stakes winners out of mares by Tabasco Cat and two out of mares by Stormy Atlantic. There are stakes winners out of mares by Johannesburg (sire of Scat Daddy), Henny Hughes and Wiseman’s Ferry (all by Hennessy and Sir Cat. The sire of Bee Jersey has a stakes winner out of a mare by Discreet Cat (by Forestry, also sire of Shackleford) and Storm Cat could also be brought in through Stormin Fever, Tale of the Cat (sire of Lion Heart; grandsire of Kantharos), Bernstein Mountain Cat and Tactical Cat. It could also be interesting to introduce Nijinsky II through Royal Academy, a close relative to Storm Cat, and himself broodmare sire of a Speightstown line graded stakes winner.
Bee Jersey comes from the immediate family of A.P. Indy and there are 19 stakes winners on a Speightstown/A.P. Indy cross. In addition to five graded winners out of mares by A.P. Indy himself, there are already three stakes winners out of mares by Tapit (sire of Trappe Shot, Tapizar, Tapiture and Constitution), a son of Pulpit (sire of Sky Mesa and Stroll), and graded winner out of a mare by Bernardini (sire of Stay Thirsty and To Honor and Serve) and stakes winners out of mares by Flatter (brother to Congrats and Malibu Moon), Aptitude and Jump Start. It’s also worth considering mares by Mineshaft (sire of Discreetly Mine and Dialed In). A.P. Indy is by Seattle Slew and from other branches of Seattle Slew there is a stakes winner by the sire of Bee Jersey from a mare by Evansville Slew (by Slew City Slew) and Speightstown line stakes winners out of mares by Vindication, Capote (sire of Boston Harbor and Matty G, himself broodmare sire of a Speightstown line graded winner), Slew’s Royalty, Taj Alriyadh and Slewdledo.
Speightstown is a Mr. Prospector line stallion, but he and his sons have had success over some other branches of Mr. Prospector. Bee Jersey’s sire has a stakes winner out of a mare by Good and Tough, a son of Carson City (sire of City Zip, Cuvee, Five Star Day and Pollard’s Vision). There are three stakes winners, one grade one, out of mares by Seeking the Gold (sire of Cape Town, Mutakddim and Petionville) and a grade one winner out of a mare by Lemon Drop Kid. There are also two graded stakes winners out of a mares by Street Cry (sire of Street Sense), and graded winners out of mares by Distorted Humor (sire of Maclean’s Music, Jimmy Creed and Flower Alley) and a stakes winner out of a mares by Smart Strike (sire of Curlin, Lookin At Lucky and English Channel). From the Fappiano branch, there is a grade one winner out of a mare by Quiet American (grandsire of Midnight Lute), three stakes winners out of mares by Unbridled’s Song (sire of First Defence, Rockport Harbor, Dunkirk, Half Ours, Old Fashioned and Zensational), and stakes winners out of mares by Broken Vow and Pentelicus.
From the Roberto line there is a grade one winner out of a mare by Dynaformer (sire of Point of Entry), a stakes winner out of a mare by Red Ransom, and a stakes winner out of a mare by Prized (by Kris S.).
Speightstown and sons have enjoyed success with two different branches of the Caro line. There are three stakes winners, one graded, out of mares by Cozzene, as well as stakes winners out of mares by his sons, Mizzen Mast and Alphabet Soup. From the In Excess branch, there are Speightstown line stakes winners out of mares by Indian Charlie and his mare Uncle Mo.
The cross with mares descending from Relaunch has been a successful one with a graded stakes winner out of a mare by Relaunch himself, as well as stakes winners out of mares by Star of the Crop, Bertrando (sire of Officer), Honour and Glory (sire of Put It Back), and Colonel John (by Tiznow, also sire of Gemologist, Tiz Wonderful and Tizway).
Bee Jersey is out of a mare by a son of Blushing Groom, but it could pay to cross him back over mares from that line, and Speightstown and sons have stakes winners on this cross out of mares by Mt. Livermore and his sons Orientate and Peaks and Valleys, and Cherokee Run (sire of Kafwain and Yonaguska).
There are four stakes winners, including graded winner Munnings, by Speightstown out of mares by Holy Bull, and another by a son of Speightstown out of a mare by Holy Bull son, Macho Uno, which also suggests mares by Flashy Bull.
|JERSEY TOWN (USA)
|GONE WEST (USA)
br. 1984 [IC]
|MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)|
|SILKEN CAT (CAN)
|STORM CAT (USA)|
|SILKEN DOLL (USA)|
|JERSEY GIRL (USA)
|BELONG TO ME (USA)
|MISS BOLD APPEAL (USA)
|VALID APPEAL (USA)|
|BID GAL (USA)|
|BLUSHING GROOM (FR)
ch. 1974 [BC]
|RED GOD (USA)|
|RUNAWAY BRIDE (GB)|
|GLORIOUS SONG (CAN)*
|RUN FOR LASSIE (USA)
b. 1977 [IC]
|MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)|
|LASSIE’S LADY (USA)
|LASSIE DEAR (USA)|
- Maiden race at Meydan (7f, to Capezzano, Fawree, by 2.5 lengths, defeating Cape of Eagles, Dawwass, Bourbon Gleam, Sharp Defence, Hidden Journey, Voice of the North, Al Abyad, Big Sigh (IRE), Modhilah (IRE)).
- Maiden special weight race at Keeneland (7f, by 3 lengths, defeating Powerful Ally, C DUb, Makeamericagreat, Ukuru, Such a Tease, La Maquina Gris, Victory Cigar, Pleasantly Persist, Squadron Fourteen, Belgrano).
- U.A.E. Two Thousand Guineas at Meydan (G3, to Thunder Snow (IRE), defeating Capezzano, Qatar Man (IRE), Han Sense, Cosmo Charlie, Victor Kalejs, Best Solution (IRE), Silent Assassin (IRE)).
- Allowance at Churchill Downs (7f, to Gold Ekati by 1 length, defeating Class Won, Adulation, Because It’s Time, Sutton Impact, Ostentation, Gray Sky, Quality Emperor, Takeittotheedge, Spring d’Oro).
- Maiden race at Meydan (8f, to Fawree, defeating Mazeed, Dawwass, Magical Forest (IRE), Forgivethenforget (GB), Sboog, Big Sigh (IRE), Cape of Eagles).
- Metropolitan H. at Belmont Park (G1, 8f, by a nose, defeating Mind Your Biscuits, Limousine Liberal, Discreet Lover, Ransom the Moon, McCracken, Good Samaritan, Awesome Slew, One Liner, Warrior’s Club, Bold d’Oro).
- Steve Sexton Mile S. at Lone Star (G3, 8f, by 5 1/2 lengths, defeating Girvin, Shotgun Kowboy, Futile, South Beach, Oh So Regal, Franco).
- Allowance race at Keeneland (8f, by 7 3/4 lengths, defeating Frammento, Han Sense, Icatiro, Rise Up, Action Everyday).
- Allowance race at Oaklawn Park (8f, by 6 lengths, defeating Chris and Dave, Blueridge, Gray Sky, Son of a Saint, Bronze Age, Cass in Stone, Compagno, Grandpa’s Dream, Love That Lute).
Bee Jersey News
Infinite Diamond shines in Cash Run Stakes
Monday, January 2, 2023
Bee Jersey’s Infinite Diamond made her seasonal debut a stylish one with a 2 ¼-length victory in the $100,000 Cash Run Stakes at Gulfstream Park on New Year’s Day…
Bee Jersey’s Shirl’s Bee one to watch after Meydan score
Tuesday, December 27, 2022
Two-year-old colt Shirl’s Bee broke his maiden in auspicious fashion at Meydan in Dubai on Friday, Dec. 23, and will be one to follow into his 3-year-old season. A 1 ¼-length winner in his career debut, Shirl’s Bee covered 1600m in 1:38.92. Ridden by Pat Dobbs and trained by Doug Watson, Shirl’s Bee is likely […]
Jersey Pearl shines in Keeneland maiden special weight victory
Saturday, October 8, 2022
Bee Jersey got his fifth First-Crop winner Saturday at Keeneland when Jersey Pearl won a six-furlong maiden special weight race for 2-year-old fillies by 1 ½-lengths…
My Happiness the first stakes winner for Bee Jersey
Sunday, October 2, 2022
First-Crop sire Bee Jersey was represented by his first stakes winner on Oct. 1 at Prairie Meadows when My Happiness won the $100,000 Iowa Sorority S…
Infinite Diamond a romping winner at Gulfstream
Saturday, September 17, 2022
Bee Jersey’s first-crop filly Infinite Diamond joined the ranks of winners in auspicious fashion on Sept. 16, defeating a maiden special weight field at Gulfstream Park by 14 ½ lengths…
My Happiness is first U. S. winner for Darby Dan Farm’s Bee Jersey
Saturday, July 23, 2022
Darby Dan stallion and Grade 1 winner Bee Jersey was represented by his first U. S.-based winner on July 22 when the 2-year-old filly My Happiness scored an impressive six-length victory
F-T Midlantic Sale: More strong results for Bee Jersey
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Bee Jersey, whose first 2-year-olds at auction have averaged nearly 25 times his stud fee thus far in 2022, was right on that mark once again on Tuesday…
Bee Jersey filly hammers for $120,000 Friday at OBS 2yo Sale
Friday, April 22, 2022
A filly from the first crop of Grade 1 winner Bee Jersey earned a top bid of $120,000 during Friday’s closing session of the OBS Spring Sale of 2-year-olds in Training…
Bee Jersey filly hammers for $225,000 during OBS opener
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
A filly from the first crop of Grade 1 winner Bee Jersey brought a winning bid of $225,000 during Tuesday’s opening session of the OBS March 2-year-olds sale…
Fipke cancels stud fee contracts for 2020 breeding season
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
In recognition of the economic hardship brought on by the global coronavirus pandemic, all stallions owned by Charles E. Fipke will stand the 2020 season at no charge. The stud fee will be waived for breeders who have already signed contracts, and zero fee contracts will be issued for any new seasons for the remainder […]
First foal is a filly for Darby Dan Farm’s Bee Jersey
Thursday, February 20, 2020
Darby Dan Farm’s Grade 1 winner Bee Jersey sired his first reported foal on Jan. 31 when a filly was born at Clearbrook Farm in Paris, Ky. Bred by Charles Fipke, the filly is produced from the winning Tale of Ekati mare Icy Tales. “She’s a beautiful, long-legged filly,” said Clearbrook Farm’s Bill Anderson. “She’s […]
Darby Dan Farm sets 2020 stallion roster and fees
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Darby Dan Farm has set 2020 stud fees for its roster of nine stallions that will stand the upcoming breeding season, led by Dialed In, who will stand for $20,000 S&N. The roster also features Shackleford and Klimt who will each stand for $10,000 S&N; Tapiture, a leading freshman sire of 2019, will stand for […]